Sunday, June 17, 2012

The stories

The stories I'm telling here are about me. They are, therefore, mostly of interest to me — and to my family and perhaps to my friends.

On the other hand, if I tell them well enough, maybe they'll be of universal interest and even if you've stumbled upon them by accident, you'll say, "What a good story!" and you'll come back and read some more. Even if you don't say, "What a good story!" I'm pretty sure, at some point, you'll say, "That happened to me too." Or maybe you'll say, "I once had a friend/teacher/neighbour like that."

I hope if you do, you'll come back and check out the stories now and then.

I'm not a natural blogger. I'm an editor and writer and so even telling my life stories, I'm not comfortable dashing it off. I want to choose the right words, make sure my facts are accurate, try hard for clarity. I will try to be interesting if not exactly chatty.

I will continue to publish from my archives over here. I've been on a self-appointed sabbatical but I'm going to get back to work and I look forward to seeing you, both here and there.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon, your experience was so much like my own growing up in small town New Brunswick. Only it wasn't boys who terrorized me, it was a boy and a girl.they'd hide in the bushes and grab me. I don't remember anything they did other than grab me....
    We also had a basement where the lavatories were, although ours were strictly segregated.We even had a boys and girls outside entrance to the school !
    Keep writing I'm going enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this alot Auntie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon - I guess I was one of those big Irish /Acadian families and I never went to the White School ( named because of the colour ?) or even entered the doors . I too was a little leery of going down the "hill " because I was a " West Ender " but I did deliver the paper to your house ( the hydro houses ) and I remember your father was the biggest tipper - 15 cents - nice man . Interesting to read your stories as I am your age . perhaps , and you give a valuable perspective which I never experienced really . Keep it going girl . look forward to reading ...

    ReplyDelete